This is one of my favorite recipes. We make the spiced tofu and eggplant frequently because it is pretty simple, but also really tasty.
We don’t always make this with the yogurt sauce, sometimes we’ll just use hummus instead, but the yogurt sauce is awesome.
Here are some simple modifications you can make to this recipe:
- Instead of using the spiced yogurt recipe below, simply use the yogurt plain. This can simplify the recipe.
- Use hummus instead of the yogurt. You can make this at home or buy it.
- Use lamb or beef instead of the tofu. See the recipe below from Bon Apetite for details on that.
This recipe is inspired from two recipes that we like. The first is from this lamb and squash recipe from Bon Appetit, and the other is from the Allison Roman recipe for The Dip. Below is our version that I think you’ll love.
Spiced Pan Seared Tofu and Eggplant w/ Yogurt Sauce
- Sautee pan
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 lb tofu
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced, divided
- 1 lb eggplant cut into ¾” pieces
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2.5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions white and green parts thinly sliced
- 0.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- Flakey sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cups full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Preparing the tofu and eggplant
- Mix together salt, coriander, cumin, and red pepper flakes (if using) in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Cut the block of tofu in half length-wise and add both halves to the skillet; sprinkle with half of spice mixture and half of garlic. Cook, without moving, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the tofu over and cook until other side is browned and crisp, about 3 minutes.
- While in the pan, break the tofu up with a spatula into about 1 inch squares, cook about 2 minutes longer. Using a slotted spoon, scoop tofu over the yogurt (see below for yogurt instructions).
- Pour out and discard fat and wipe out skillet. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over high.
- Cook eggplant in a single layer, undisturbed, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining spice mixture and garlic and cook, stirring, until eggplant is coated and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Spoon eggplant over tofu.
- Drizzle with more oil and top with herbs.
Preparing the yogurt spread
- Heat the olive oil, scallions, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small pot over medium-low heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the scallions and red pepper flakes start to sizzle and turn the oil a bright orange.
- Combine yogurt and lemon juice in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper – taste and add more salt if you need. Spoon into a bowl and swirl in the scallion mixture.
- Place a few spoon fulls of the yogurt on each plate and spread with a spoon to create a bed for the tofu and eggplant.